Sunday, August 17, 2014

Split Pea Soup

In the midst of this roasting week, there was one chilly day that made me think, "I want soup."  My family loves soup, but we all have an agreed favorite.

Split Pea Soup!

Every time I make Split Pea Soup I make a huge pot so we have tons of leftovers, but somehow the leftovers are always gone in a couple days anyway!  So since I had sore teeth from my braces and the weather was cold, I decided to make my favorite comfort food.

2 pounds split peas (green or yellow)
2 ¾ lb. potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
2 cups chopped ham
2 quarts chicken stock
1 onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
½ cup white wine
2 roasted bell peppers
1 head celery, chopped
9 carrots, sliced
1 bunch oregano, minced
1 bunch thyme, minced
2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp pepper
2 tsp chili paste
¼ cup molasses

Rinse the split peas in a mesh colander and remove any pebbles or other debris.

Put the peas, potatoes, ham, and chicken stock in a large pot along with 4 cups of warm water.  Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the peas are falling apart.

While the pea mixture is cooking, heat a separate pan coated in olive oil.

Finely chop the onion.

Add the onion to the pan along with the minced garlic, then sauté until the onions are translucent.

Add the mushrooms and white wine to the onions,  then sauté until the mushrooms are beginning to brown.  When the mushrooms are cooked, turn off the heat, cover, and set aside for later.

Once the peas and potatoes are falling apart, add the celery, carrots, sautéed mushrooms, roasted bell peppers, lemon juice, pepper, chili paste, oregano, thyme, salt, and molasses.  Stir together all the ingredients until they are thoroughly combined.


Turn off the heat and enjoy your delicious, comforting soup!


 To see more of my pictures you can find me on Instagram at @audreygracephotography.

No comments:

Post a Comment