Saturday, August 23, 2014

Creamy Chicken Quinoa & Broccoli Casserole

Usually I don't like casseroles because they're all gooey and cheesy, but this one has broccoli and quinoa, so it's kind of an exception.  I found the original recipe for this dish when I was browsing Pinterest, but of course I made some changes to the recipe (like I always do)!  You can find the original recipe on Pinch of Yum, along with the gorgeous picture (showed below) that inspired me to make this casserole.
Pinch of Yum's Creamy Chicken Quinoa & Broccoli Casserole

Here's the recipe that I used to make my version of this easy and delicious casserole.

1 lb. chicken breasts
2 TBSP olive oil
1 ½ tsp thyme
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp basil
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp salt
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup 2% milk
½ cup flour
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked quinoa or grain mix from Trader Joe's
3 cups broccoli florets
¼ cup shredded cheese of your choice
Olive Oil Spray from Trader Joe's

Coat the chicken in the olive oil, oregano, basil, ½ tsp of the thyme, ¼ tsp of the pepper, and ¼ tsp of the salt.  Marinate for at least 2 hours.

In a preheated pan, cook the chicken until it reaches 160* in its thickest part.

Cool the chicken, then slice into thin strips.

Preheat the oven to 400* and generously spray a 9x13 pan with the olive oil spray.

Put the chicken broth and ½ cup of the milk in a small pot and bring to a low boil.  Mix the remaining ½ cup milk with the leftover 1 tsp thyme, ¼ tsp pepper, and ¼ tsp salt.  Combine both the boiling mixture and the flour mixture and whisk into a smooth, creamy sauce.

Mix the creamy sauce with the quinoa and 1 cup of water, then pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Lay the chicken strips in the dish and bake for 30 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
 
While the quinoa/chicken mixture is cooking, cook the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute, then thoroughly drain.

Once the quinoa/chicken mixture has cooked, remove it from the oven, mix in the broccoli and ½ cup of water, then sprinkle with cheese and bake for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

Once the cheese is melted, remove the casserole from the oven and enjoy it alongside a salad or extra broccoli!







To see more of my pictures you can find me on Instagram at @audreygracephotography.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this and it was very tasty. Thanks for the recipe & tips.
    I have tried a number of your recipes and they are all great.
    I can't believe that you are only 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad you like my recipes!

      Delete